But perhaps not as typical are my trilogies. I previously mentioned my affinity for Star Wars, and I can watch the Indiana Jones movies over and over. But sometimes, I just gotta have me a Lord Of The Rings marathon. I realize I am once again nerding myself out, but I don't care. I love it for its message of hope and endurance against impossible odds, for seeking for the good and right, and for its message of overcoming.
Anways, while watching the Two Towers today Sam said something that really solidified to me why this is one of my favorite series, and it really rang true.
As Frodo is at the end of his rope, ready to give in to all the forces of evil against him, he confides in Sam his feelings of despair. Their exchange is as follows.
Frodo: I can't do this, Sam.
Sam: I know. It's all wrong. By rights we shouldn't even be here. But we are. It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something.Sam:What are we holding onto, Sam?
Sam: That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo... and it's worth fighting for.
Watching the news, enduring through hardships, big or or small, and seeing all the evil and uncertainty in the world, I feel that way. With so much darkness, how could the end be happy? Things will never be the same. I imagine Job in the Bible felt this way. But in the end, the darkness always passes and the light endures. A new day will come. I can make it through-and there is still some good in the world that is worth fighting for.
Anyways, I just loved this quote and thought I would share it. I hope you guys have comfort movies-they can make all the difference.
No comments:
Post a Comment